Makes 6-9 scones (depending how big you cut them!)
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl
- Pour the m.lk into a jug and warm in the microwave for 20-30 secs
- Add the lemon juice to the warm m.lk, stir and set aside. The liquid will curdle, this is meant to happen!
- Rub the butter into flour mixture with your fingers until it resembles a crumble mixture
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the curdled m.lk
- Gradually bring in the flour to the wet mixture in the centre using a knife
- Once the mixture resembles a loose dough, dust flour on a clean surface and gently fold the dough in on itself, being careful not to knead
- The dough should be well-combined but does not have to be smooth. Gently pat the dough to flatten to about 3-4cm thick
- If you have a cutter, cut out your scones from the dough. If you don’t, you can use a glass/cup either on its own or using a knife to cut out the shape round the glass edge
- Rework the dough into a flat shape of the same thickness and keep cutting scones out until all the dough is used
- Dust the scones with a little extra flour around the edges and place on a lined baking tray
- Optional – brush some mighty m.lk over the tops of the scone to give them a glazed effect (replaces an egg glaze)
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, depending on how big you cut the scones – I made 9 and baked for 10 mins
- Leave to (mostly) cool and serve warm with vegan cream or butter and lots of jam!